Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Truth

Another example of collector tenacity and proof positive that persistence does indeed pay off. Though it may have taken five years of harassing emails to accomplish, it finally happened: I convinced an older art dealer to sell me my most coveted Clowes page. Sure, the consequent scrambling meant a lot of items sold, favors asked and tears shed, but those obstacles never gave me pauseafter all, this piece of spiritual affirmation was singularly responsible for hooking me on Clowes in the first place. An inestimable heap of thanks to Anthony, Mike, Damian and everyone else who helped facilitate this purchase. And, as always, an extra-special thank you to Valery for putting up with me.

Not to be outdone and on a semi-related note, my buddy Keegan recently sent me an unexpected package. Enclosed, I found the Japanese I Hate You Deeply 45 that inspired the rant of the same name. Thanks again, man! Furthermore, for attentive Dan Clowes scholars, I've also included the Summer Artist in this photoits handsome Bill Ward jacket lending itself to a later swipe.

2 comments:

Petro B Pettson said...

Congrats! That's one hell of a score!

Gonked, Glooked and Slurped! said...

Thanks, man. I cannot stress what a relief it is to finally have the page--I kept imagining the dealer getting a better offer and forgetting about me, or worse, him choosing to never sell it at all.

The uniqueness of the item makes these situations more torturous than anything else I've ever dealt with. You've got one shot (after you somehow miraculously find the one person on the planet who owns it) and it may take years of inquiry to get it done.

WHEW!