Friday, June 11, 2010

I'm A Bug

Issued in the blessed year of 1978, the Cramps' Human Fly single has long been one of my favorite records of the era. Circa 2000, an eBay seller unloaded two copies of a previously unknown entity: the 11x17 promo flier produced by Vengeance Records (the Cramps), heralding the release of this, their second 45. Unfortunately, I was a starving college student at the time, and there was no way I could afford weighing in on either of 'eminstead, I had to content myself with sitting idly by and watching 'em both skyrocket from the sidelines.

Anyway, ab
out five years later, a chance visit got me over to my pal Howie's house and he pointed out his tatty, stained and worn copy of the same flier. It was up for grabs. I wasn't exactly happy with its hammered condition, but given that Howie had peeled it directly off the walls of CBGBs himself, and that I hadn't seen another copy, I figured this would be my only chance.

Unable to console myself with this placeholder, I tracked down the photographer responsible for the cover shot. Zilch. Nil. Nada. Ten years later, I'd just about given up all hope. Skirting dangerously close to admitting defeat, I decided to follow up one last, unlikely lead. Sure enough, in under two weeks, I had a pristine copy of the flier fall into my lap ...and all it took were some kind words, a few color copies and my eternal gratitude. Unbelievable.

You can view a side by side comparison here.